Sunday, June 6, 2010

Arnie Lawrence - Unobstructed Universe (1976)


I found this a few weeks ago on a blog I like to frequent (Prog Not Frog), and all I can say is that it's absolutely amazing. Funky-ass rhythms that melt away into some free jazz/space jam stuff and then back again- and that's just during the 30-minute title track.

I don't know a whole lot about this release except that it's listed under both Arnie Lawrence as leader and credited to Unobstructed Universe as the band. I read in an interview with Lawrence that it was his intention to call the band and record Unobstructed Universe but for contractual reasons it's listed under him. Go figure.

Either way, it's some funky ass fusion shit from the mid-1970's...


3 comments:

Rhythm Changes said...

Thank you, very interesting. Arnie Lawrence was quite a character, someone made a feature-length documentary movie about him, look for it on YouTube; I remember him on several of Chico Hamilton's albums between '60s and '70s (you can find some of them, particularly "El Exigente", at http://soundological.blogspot.com/).

derflorentiner said...

Thank you for posting this!!!

Hellium said...

Hi there,
I tried downloading but the link was broken. Same goes for all the links I came across... Is there any way you can upload it anew?

Thanks!

Post a Comment