Thursday, April 16, 2020

I'm baaaack!

Decided to resurrect this thing- where to start? 

Okay, first- I sold my entire record collection. 

Got a pretty penny for it but that's not the point; all of this great music, everything I uploaded onto this blog I owned at one time in one form or another, mostly vinyl. 

So I started this blog in March of 2010 because I wanted to show that insane collection off, or better yet- let you all hear it. 

A collection built from countless hours spent in record stores from Philly to NYC to Oakland, Berkeley and SF down to LA and up to Seattle and all points in between. So many Saturday morning garage sales. 

Lists and lists on scraps of paper and in my brain. Re-issues, remasters, first pressings, Japanese pressings, avant-garde, noise pop, psychedelia, abstract hip-hop... it didn't matter. 

So I "shared" all of my music on here until I got shut down by the constant Digital Millennium Copyright Act notices (or DMCA for short). 464,000 page views- apparently that attracts a lot of attention from the powers that be. 

The writing was on the wall- Spotify was finally coming to America, labels were cracking down on file sharing, it was over for all of us fileshare bloggers. 

I wrote my last post on November 12th, 2011.

Until today. 

Here's the story: I checked my spam folder for the first time in years and I got an e-mail last week about a post on here, a guy from Denmark was begging me to re-upload an album. I thought "we all need music right now... does he not know of Spotify? YouTube?" 

I didn't respond but linked back to the post in question and it was weird reading some shit I wrote about an album almost 10 years ago. 

I decided to dust this off and give it another shot.

I've replaced every single Rapidshare link with a link to either Spotify or YouTube. 

A handful of the records on here are not available on either of those sites so they are now completely gone- but you should try to find these elsewhere, like in record stores or Discogs

Here they are:
Mekons - The Quality of Mercy is Not Strnen (1979, Virgin Records)

Jandek - Chair Beside a Window (1982, Corwood Industries)

Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - Magnetic Flip (1984, Ace of Hearts)

Arvo Part - Tabula rasa (1984, ECM New Series)

John Zorn - Bar Kokhba (1996, Tzadik Label)

Various Artists - Chains and Black Exhaust (2002, Memphix Records)

90 Day Men - Panda Park (2004, Southern Records)

Anyway, I'm going to try to post a few albums a week and get back into what I used to love, which is getting people outside of their comfort zone and into listening to new music.

If you're not into having your mind blown by challenging, obscure, esoteric and otherwise "missed" albums, this is not going to be the site for you.

There are 236 posts (about 245-ish albums, some posts have multiple albums on them) so have a look around, listen to something, leave a comment.

Thanks for stopping by. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment