Sunday, July 4, 2010

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One (1997)


If I had to put together a list of the greatest records of the '90s, this would be right near the top. Yo La Tengo personifies that decade as far as American indie rock is concerned; I would also have to add Pavement, Superchunk and Sebadoh to that list (two of those three have been featured on this blog as well, and Mr. Barlow, if you're reading this- I'll be uploading some of your tunes as well...)

As for YLT and this album in particular, I don't have enough great things to say about it; I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One is their widest ranging record, stylistically speaking- there's some bossa nova, country, dream pop, folk, krautrock, noise, power pop, shoegaze, straight-ahead rock, tropicália, you name it- it's on here. That's why this is probably the best starting point for you kids looking to get into not only one of the best bands of the last twenty years; one of the best bands ever.

Listen to this gem of an album now, you shan't be disappointed...

0 comments:

Post a Comment