Friday, April 30, 2010

Donny Hathaway - Live (1972)


I used to love live music; something inexplicable happened in the last few years that has switched my focus to the supreme worship of the album as ultimate artistic statement- I think it's one too many shitty concert experiences. You know what I'm talking about- some places have really bad acoustics or are cramped or too hot, but the one I hate the most is the inattentive crowd busy chatting away or texting it up. I guess any number of things serve as deterrents from an awesome live music experience. Oh well.

This record, however; is one of the best live albums of all-time, judging from the crowd's response. Donny Hathaway was like a man possessed these two nights back in '72 (side one is from The Troubador in Hollywood and side two is from The Bitter End in Greenwich Village). The cover versions of John Lennon's Jealous Guy and Carole King's You've Got A Friend are as good (if not better) than the originals, Hathaway's soulful voice gives them a warmth that they're missing.

I gotta give a shot-out to J.D. for introducing me to this album a long time ago; we used to listen to his parents' vinyl copy on the good stereo in his living room. Listen to this now, people...


1 comments:

Michael Hockinson said...

Thank you for posting this. A delight in my headphones.

Post a Comment