Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus (1956)


I realized the other day that for the last six months or so, all I've really been listening to is jazz (and if you've been keeping up with these posts, about a third of them are jazz). I haven't gone through such an intense jazz listening period in about five or six years, so it's been nice to re-acquaint myself as well discover a bunch of new (old) stuff.

I was record shopping one day (circa 2004) and had a few albums in my hand (if I can remember it accurately it was Joy Division's Closer, King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King and Dead Kennedys' Frankenchrist); I found myself in the jazz section, picking up a copy of Saxophone Colossus

There was this really old guy looking at record next to me, saw what I had and said, "oh, that's a good one- Max Roach plays on that." It was an '87 re-issue copy for $6.00. So I put the King Crimson record back and got the Sonny Rollins instead.

That was a great idea. Dear old dude that told me to get it, wherever you are- thanks...

0 comments:

Post a Comment